Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ani Phyo 15 Day Fat Blast Review: Day 1

Day 1

Due to limitations set by the publishing company, I am not able to post the recipes from the book.
If you are unable to support Ani in purchasing her book, please utilize your public library!

Today I started the 15 Day Fat Blast created by Ani Phyo. Ani is a well published chef in the raw food world and to help people who want to loose those last few pounds, she has created her 15 day Fat Blast book. Whether you have eaten raw before, currently, or never this is a great way to boost your overall health and shed a few pounds.

I personally have gone back and forth with being raw for the past few years. I tend to go raw for a while and get board or tired of some of the more labor intensive aspects of raw food- like making raw bread. Life gets busy and I tend loose focus.

So to get re-inspired and loose those last 10ish pounds, so I can fit into my jeans come October, I have set out to do the raw food fat blast!

The program is laid out in three phases:
1) Shake it up: The first three days are all raw shakes and soups designed to detox and begin to clear away fat. By only consuming liquids more of our body's energy can go to burning fat.
2) Melt down: Days 4-7 add in more probiotic, prebiotic, and healthy fats. We also start incorporating salads.
3) Blast Off: Days 8-15 We go back to two solid meals- lunch and dinner but keep the breakfast shake and add in a raw snack and dessert. Each meal will contain all four "rocket fuels" to "blast off" the remaining pounds.

In preparation for the 15 day journey, I started increasing my raw food content in my diet- mostly shakes but a few salads too, and I have already noticed a difference. The biggest factor I think is that I started using Spirulina- a blue-green algae that helps boost metabolism as it is high in protein and B12.

Unfortunately today wasn't the best of days to start the program but oh well! It ended up that I didn't eat all the meals as directed by the book but it will be okay!

Breakfast 

Blueberry Blast             
4 out of 5 stars-- my personal rating

*Note: add nuts on top of blueberries or they will get stuck and not blend well.
I also used more ice and added stevia to taste.


Lunch

Pineapple Green Shake
3 out of 5 stars-- my personal rating
* I used one tsp ginger and a pinch of cayenne- whoo does it wake you up! I also added stevia  to taste. It got three stars because of the heat and lack of awesomeness. It was good and it wasn't bad so, three stars.

Now at this point is where I diverged from the plan. And I hope that those of you who read this can avoid what I did. According to the plan my lunch the pineapple green shake was supposed to be a snack and the Spicy Bok Choy Soup was to be lunch. Well, the soup ended up as my pre-dinner and I strayed from the plan by having a cookie-- okay, two cookies-- after I held my nose to get the soup down. I am going to provide the recipe as a guide so everyone knows to NEVER make this.  If you have ever had some of the veggie baby food dinners like vegetable stew- taste what you are feeding your kids before you expect them to eat it! Once I had a baby food and I can't remember what it was but it tasted like this does and oh, it was so bad. Sorry Ani, this is just bad!

Spicy Bok Choy Soup
1 of 5 stars-- my personal rating
*I used bok choy, red miso, 1 C water and the turmeric. If anyone has an idea that they have tried that resulted in a better tasting soup, please let us all know. Using spinach might be better.

For dinner/evening snack I ended up making the Blue Moon 2.0 Smoothie created by Peni from rawfoodrehab.com :  http://rawfoodrehab.ning.com/forum/topics/foodie-friday-the-blue-moon-episode?xg_source=msg_mes_network
The book's meal plan called for me to make Tomato Busque, which I may make later.

Blue Moon 2.0
5 of 5 stars

1 C frozen blueberries
1 banana
1 1/2 C orange or apple juice (I used orange)
1 tsp grated ginger root
1/4 tsp cinnamon
stevia to taste

Blend and serve.
*I substituted 1/2 C of the orange juice for almond milk to lower the sugar content and my banana was frozen. Great consistency and great flavor! In this recipe the Thermo or Squeaky Cleaner would be the ginger and cinnamon.

So hopefully tomorrow will be better food wise.  Activity wise I hope to get the laundry done!
I will also endeavor to take pictures as I forgot to today :)

Sourced articles for further reading:

Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast by Ani Phyo. ISBN: 978-0-7382-1522-8

No comments:

Post a Comment