Monday, January 7, 2013

New Years Resolutions: My Outlook

Making something a habit- or giving one up- takes time, about 21 days. But even more important than time is the dedication required to maintain an attitude, mindset, or goal. With all the challenges that life throws at us it is very easy to become emotionally drained. We all hit rough patches and with that in mind, I would like to share my philosophy about New Years Resolutions.

They are overrated.

If you really want to change, it doesn't matter what day you start- OR how many times you fail. The real focus- in my humble opinion- is to remember your goal and why it is important to you.

Last October I did Ani Phyo's 15 Day Fat Blast Challenge  and over the past couple months I gained the weight back, I fasted, gained the weight back. There were emotional reasons for my overeating that this year I am going to work to resolve.

I moved to Indiana two years ago with my husband and it has been very challenging ot make friends, and even more so to have a social life. Our society is geared toward activities based around food and the media, it's difficult to not only have friends, but to be able to share a mutual hobby bot based around food or media. I would much rather go rock climbing, hiking, biking, swimming, dancing, roller skating, even playing tennis (I suck!) or got o a fitness class with a friend. Playing games, like Euker or Uno are also fun options! I fear that true social interactions and activities are being drowned out by the media and ease of technology.

My personal goals for this year are to be more balanced and to loose a bit of weight, are ones that I will continually deal with for the rest of my life. Getting it right takes time and no one is perfect. Instead of the pressure of a NYR, give yourself the freedom to decide who and what you want to be, and work toward your goals because they are always changing and challenging. Stay focused and be sure to laugh! Like these dogs!


No comments:

Post a Comment