Thursday, May 29, 2014

Healthy Eating Makes a Difference

I recently posted an update about my personal life. My mom recently had ankle replacement surgery and her recovery is slow but steady. To prepare for her surgery she needed to loose a little bit of weight and decided to try the Ani Phyo 15 day Fat Blast, raw food diet that I reviewed here about a year and a half ago. 

In my last post I listed several "hard core" physical events that I am planning on participating in this year and next and I want to make it known that when I was a teenager I NEVER would have imagined that I would be doing ANY of these events. I hit puberty and got fat. My family is heavy. I was heavy. I have worked hard to loose weight and maintain it. Raw food has played a huge role; being vegetarian has been a large part of it. Learning how to balance what, and how I eat was probably the most important thing I have ever learned because it has influenced every part of my life.

I say this because several years ago when I went vegetarian and got into raw food my family didn't understand. People I worked with didn't get it. And now, years later, my family understands that high fructose corn syrup is the devil. I was talking with my mom and she was telling me that my uncle has decided to go vegetarian and will switch over in about a month- this is a big guy who loves his meat! Who also has several health issues.

I realized today that my eating healthy, the changes I have made, have influenced and will continue to influence, the people around me. My co-workers know that I eat healthy, and while I am skinny, it's because I eat healthy (and workout) that I'm skinny. I make it clear that I am not blessed with a high metabolism. I can not eat whatever I want and have no consequences.

So here are a couple recipes to try that will have those around you going, "what is that?", "man that smells good", "what are you eating"?



Miso Soup for One

1 tbsp white miso
1- 1 1/2 C water or veggie broth ( I like to use the concentrated veggie broth- I add about 1/2 tsp for one serving)
1 spring onion chopped
1/2 C peas
1 tbsp wakame
pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste

Put on stove top, stirring to dissolve miso. When heated through, serve! Super easy and filling! The other great thing is that you can add any veggies or seasoning you want- you could do corn with taco seasoning and mushrooms, or carrots and potatoes... be creative!


I made this shake at my parent's house and my Dad loved it!! 


Pear-an-go Shake

makes on large serving or 2 small

1 pear, chopped

1 C mango
3/4 C cottage cheese
2-4 pkts stevia, to taste
dash of almond milk to blend

Mix till smooth and pour!


Thanks for reading, I hope to become more consistent in my posts this year than I have so far- biking and work takes up a LOT of time!! But really I just have to manage my time better :)  
All the veggies are planted in the garden now so see you veggi soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment