Saturday, April 27, 2013

Raw Ice Cream Cake Experiment Pt.1

I have been wanting to try my hand at making a raw cake for a while now and so I have taken the plunge! And it, while time consuming, I am pretty sure will be totally awesome! I decided to make a layer cake because I was inspired by fragrantvanillacake's raw banana split layer cake, but I didn't want a chocolate layer- I know you're thinking- WHAT! no chocolate! Yeah, my husband isn't a big chocolate fan...

So here we go!






Crust

1/2 C raw coconut flour
1/2 C raw golden flax meal
1/2 C raw cashew flour
1/4 C date paste
1/4 C agave
dash of cinnamon
pinch of salt

Mix ingredients together and press into the bottom of an 8 or 10" springform pan- I am using a 10" pan. If you don't use all of the crust "dough" that's okay- I am going to post a recipe later with my extra to make into cookies or something!

Bottom Layer: Caramel

3 frozen bananas
2 tbsp vanilla extract- preferably alcohol free
6 pkts stevia
1/4 C agave

Blend ingredients together in processor and spoon over crust. Freeze until firm in middle. Overnight works really well :)




Now here is where I wanted to do something a little different. My brother always requested an ice cream cake from DQ when we were growing up and the cookie crumble between the layers was always sooo good! So here's what I did to emulate that:

Chocolate Crunch 'tween layer:

Nut Crunchies: Sprinkle a couple handfuls of buckwheat groats-unsoaked- over base layer. Then sprinkle almond and cashew pieces over to form a light nut layer.





Mix together the following ingredients and pour over nut crunchies.
3-4 to 1 C coconut oil (liquid state)
4-5 tbsp cocoa powder
6 pkts stevia
pinch of salt

Place cake in freezer to keep base layer firm and to solidify choco crunch layer.





Middle Layer: Peanut Butter

3 frozen bananas
2 tbsp PB2
2 tbsp sunflower butter
6 pkts stevia
1/4 C coconut milk (a little more as needed for blending)

Place ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Spoon over crunch layer and place back in freezer.

Peanut Butter Crunch 'Tween layer:

Same as above but with different sauce:
Nut Crunchies: Sprinkle a couple handfuls of buckwheat groats-unsoaked- over base layer. Then sprinkle almond and cashew pieces over to form a light nut layer.

Mix together the following ingredients and pour over nut crunchies.
3-4 to 1 C coconut oil (liquid state)
3 tbsp PB2
4 pkts stevia
1/8th C agave

Place cake in freezer to keep layers firm and to solidify PB crunch layer.


Top Layer: Strawberry

1 frozen banana
4 fresh strawberries
1 C (approx) chopped frozen strawberries
1 pkt stevia
1/4-1/2 C (as needed to blend) pomegranate juice
squirt of agave (to taste)
1/2 C coconut milk

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Should be thick but pour-able.


My ice cream cake is currently in the freezer and I will decorate it in the morning before church (we'll have it at lunch) and put it in the fridge. 

Check back for the final pictures and the verdict on how good - or bad- it turns out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment